The Reluctant Mermaid

one woman unwilling to swim in the same direction as the others

10/13/10

Day 6: You're never fully dressed without a smile


I've been doing a lot of un-smiling lately. Mouth turned down with mourning, sometimes scowling sometimes sobbing, sometimes so heavy with sadness that it hurts to turn it into a smile.
So needless to say, who the hell cares about the fine details of hygiene when you can't even see the smile that needs that kind of attention?
Flossing is what today is about. Smiles are a pretty thing to wear, I see that now. I confess I have no idea when the last time I flossed was.. I know I know. The funny thing is, before this all happened, before I looked in the mirror and said "ugh, pathetic"- I was actually a flossaholic. I had little packets of floss everywhere: the bathroom, my bedside, my purse, my car... I can't stand that gritty feeling in my teeth. So I am shocked at myself for letting that go. But actually, not so shocked- because I let everything go.
Today my smile may not be as white as I want it to be (thank you 3 cups of daily coffee) but it's bright. I'm sure of it. And that's beautiful.

No comments: