The Reluctant Mermaid

one woman unwilling to swim in the same direction as the others

6/27/08

tastes of summer; the mermaid edition



:: Grilled scallops in an amino acid/scallion marinade

:: Pink Kittycat rainboots, worn on opposite feet under a long cool sundress

:: Lots of porch sitting on new Adirondack chairs hand crafted by a friend and his father

:: The hammock, OH the hammock!

:: The joy of watching the older urchin swim his heart out to reach the dock at the neighborhood beach

:: The hawk that has taken residence in our little grove of a backyard; observing it with quiet awe

:: LOTS of thunderstorms, some enjoyed under the tall trees with friends, dancing with sparklers.

:: Witnessing the older urchin bloom every single day that he is "unschooled"

:: Planting little tomatoes with my little tomato urchin

:: Staring with intense longing at Rob Ryans new, "summery" screen print and reading the words that accompany it;
"I can't forget and I never will you smiled at me and from nothing something came. Now the world is new to me again I will remember still you smiled at me & now I dream a dream of good."
Can someone please buy this for me? It's only $550? Pleeeeeeeeeeeease?

:: Anticipating parades, a whole day of them! Bouncing from town to town; friend to friend to get our fill of drums and flags and watermelon and floats.

:: Looking ahead to three year old fairy birthday parties and eight year old swimming birthday parties and turning older and wiser and becoming more and more of everything I wanted my children to be.

2 comments:

Schriftstellar said...

I LOVE THOSE BOOTS!! And I love sparklers, and thunderstorms, and that hammock, and scallops, and your kids...and yeah, I love you, too, but in a non-creepy way. :) You're awesome, lady. Totally, utterly awesome.

jenica said...

oh yay. i love summer time.